This Hostel Life
This is the sixth day that I have been in Dublin. So far I have spent my entire trip in hostels or Pubs. While I will be frequenting Pubs for a while yet, probably until my doctor advises that I stop doing so, it seems that my hostel life has been put on a temporary hiatus.
And I'm not perfectly happy about it. I'm not upset, because I had to lug more luggage than your average rented Mexican mule all the way across Dublin in the rain, while my travel partner Pete sauntered nonchalantly with a more reasonably size travel sack and a wimpy back pack that looks like it should have a picture of Dora the explorer on it.
No. While that walk was truly rubbish, the reason that I am somewhat discontented is that I love the hostel life and will miss it. Hostels are such a cool scene. In six days I've met people of all types of cultures and all walks of life, speaking all types of languages about all types of walks in the rain: Which apparently are the only type of walk you can go for in Dublin.
Not only have I met a lot of absolutely wicked people in the hostels, and if i ever need a place to stay in Valencia, or Mexico City, or Ancaster Ontario, I know I'm covered.
Probably my favorite night began at 8 pm with me, by myself, enjoying a quiet plate of spaghetti and a nice cheap bottle of European wine. Granted, this wine was neither nice nor cheap, but it was a pleasant meal all the same. I finally left the kitchen at 11:30, after being left by the hostel staff: though they were more like the hostile staff. Which would have sucked, except there were a whole bunch of us on a mission to find an Irish pub for some live music and pints. Along for the ride were: two Mexican girls who has spent the last couple of years in Italy; Andrea, an Italian guy who I immediately liked, after he stated that he liked Bargniani and that he thought the Raps will win the Eastern Conference next year; A brother and sister from Toronto who had spent the past while touring the Emerald Isle; and Pete.
This night was quite the blast. We bounced from bar to bar, while our troop dropped like flies. After the bar, Pete and I walked the Mexicano's to catch a bus to the airport. When we got home, Pete went to bed... while I hung out for an hour or so with some pretty cool, but kind of annoying girls from Maryland. (j/k if they read this.) I finally went to bed at 6:30 Dublin time, which actually would have probably been a reasonable time to call it had I been back home.
However, such fantastic experiences, which are facilitated by the hostel atmosphere will be few and far between for the next two months. Tonight we checked into a flat, which I will stay for the next two months.
And so, my vacation shifts gears, and I switch from practical matters such a wine and women, to such tedious things as working and paying too much for rent. But don't feel too bad for me: My flat is crazy old , crazy expensive, and crazy close to the Dublin City center. Both Pete and I are unemployed, and anxious to get some cash flow to pay for this vacation of ours. Then, in two months I can return to my preferred adventure seeking, globe trotting, care free, financially unfeasible mode of vacationing.
Cheers.
And I'm not perfectly happy about it. I'm not upset, because I had to lug more luggage than your average rented Mexican mule all the way across Dublin in the rain, while my travel partner Pete sauntered nonchalantly with a more reasonably size travel sack and a wimpy back pack that looks like it should have a picture of Dora the explorer on it.
No. While that walk was truly rubbish, the reason that I am somewhat discontented is that I love the hostel life and will miss it. Hostels are such a cool scene. In six days I've met people of all types of cultures and all walks of life, speaking all types of languages about all types of walks in the rain: Which apparently are the only type of walk you can go for in Dublin.
Not only have I met a lot of absolutely wicked people in the hostels, and if i ever need a place to stay in Valencia, or Mexico City, or Ancaster Ontario, I know I'm covered.
Probably my favorite night began at 8 pm with me, by myself, enjoying a quiet plate of spaghetti and a nice cheap bottle of European wine. Granted, this wine was neither nice nor cheap, but it was a pleasant meal all the same. I finally left the kitchen at 11:30, after being left by the hostel staff: though they were more like the hostile staff. Which would have sucked, except there were a whole bunch of us on a mission to find an Irish pub for some live music and pints. Along for the ride were: two Mexican girls who has spent the last couple of years in Italy; Andrea, an Italian guy who I immediately liked, after he stated that he liked Bargniani and that he thought the Raps will win the Eastern Conference next year; A brother and sister from Toronto who had spent the past while touring the Emerald Isle; and Pete.
This night was quite the blast. We bounced from bar to bar, while our troop dropped like flies. After the bar, Pete and I walked the Mexicano's to catch a bus to the airport. When we got home, Pete went to bed... while I hung out for an hour or so with some pretty cool, but kind of annoying girls from Maryland. (j/k if they read this.) I finally went to bed at 6:30 Dublin time, which actually would have probably been a reasonable time to call it had I been back home.
However, such fantastic experiences, which are facilitated by the hostel atmosphere will be few and far between for the next two months. Tonight we checked into a flat, which I will stay for the next two months.
And so, my vacation shifts gears, and I switch from practical matters such a wine and women, to such tedious things as working and paying too much for rent. But don't feel too bad for me: My flat is crazy old , crazy expensive, and crazy close to the Dublin City center. Both Pete and I are unemployed, and anxious to get some cash flow to pay for this vacation of ours. Then, in two months I can return to my preferred adventure seeking, globe trotting, care free, financially unfeasible mode of vacationing.
Cheers.
Labels: Vacationing

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home