The X Man
As I was reflecting on the Jays opening series, I was happy with how the new recruits have done. Both Glaus and Overbay jacked homers. And Bo Junior Ryan contributed with two saves.
However, of the big four off season additions, none may impact the Blue Jays fortunes this year than AJ Burnette. Not that the other three are chopped liver. More what I mean is that AJ potential performance this season variability. He could be a CY young candidate, and the best number two starter in the league. Of he could be league average.
AJ was the biggest gamble of all the moves. He has never performed to a level that would warrant a 55 million dollar contract. But he also has one of the most electric arms in the major leagues.
Burnette was notably absent in the second game of the season. He began the year on the DL due to scar tissue breaking off in his elbow. AJ was in action with the Jays high ‘A’ affiliate Dunedin Blue Jays. In four innings of work AJ gave up 3 hits, 2 walks, and one ER. He added a HBP.
However, his actual performance is meaningless, at the stage in the season. I’m sure JP Riccardi is just hoping to get the 55 million dollar man healthy and ready to go. That is when AJ better bring his A game, cause the Jays need it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home